Friday, January 2, 2009

Travelling the World for Free

Ok, I just tried to publish this to my blog, but nothing seems to have happened. So here's the link: http://thetravelersnotebook.com/how-to/how-to-travel-for-free/

This is a fantastic article - in essence. In practice, I'm not convinced all of these tips are wise, especially for a lone female traveller.... or any traveller for that matter. Yes, we should trust more. Our Culture of Fear has taken much of the fun out of travel (and many other things - don't get me started on "anti-bacterial" soap and the sudden need to keep children out of the way of all germs!). That said, I'd pony up the money for the peace of mind of a plane ticket any day over hitchhiking/negotiating my way to a foreign land. But the writer's points about the joy of new experiences and minimizing needs (read: wants) are well taken.

Teaching English as a Second Language gets a nod here. Indeed, the self-financing aspect of my teaching experience is what is making this possible for me. I'll be paid in local currency and my accommodation is provided. I won't make much by Canadian standards, but by local standards - I suspect I'll be quite well off. I had considered one of those volunteer abroad programs, but in the end, the high cost of participation (thousands of dollars for a few months), at a time when I'm saving for my MBA program, deterred me - at least for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment