Monday, January 5, 2009

Biggest Fear...

I was at the Jema Travel Clinic today and was relieved to find out that the only vaccination I needed was for Hep A & B. I had visions of being given a long shopping list! Even the Hepatitis shot was #3 of 3 - I had the first two before going to Trinidad and Tobago a few years ago.

I also got a supply of Dukoral... i.e., travellers' diarrhea medication. That brings me to what I most fear about China. Getting sick. You hear the horror stories about Westerners going over there and not being able to leave the bathroom for a week. I remember a marketing prof talking about how people wouldn't get close to her (this was in Japan) because she smelled.

Yuck. I hope the Dukoral, plenty of hand sanitizer and cautious food choices help me avoid that fate. I can't afford to lose 10 pounds on my frame (yes, nice problem to have, I know). And I certainly can't afford to be out of commission my first week because I have orientation in Shanghai.

Wow - I still can't believe I'm going to see Shanghai :) When I think of the sights I'll see, the people I'll meet - suddenly the risk of getting sick doesn't seem so bad.

I just hope my opinion hasn't changed by this time next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment