Friday, January 2, 2009

Speaking of Lone Female Travelers....

I’m not a stranger to solo travel. Here’s a snippet from a speech I’d been preparing to give to my Toastmasters club after returning from my first trip to DC. For some reason I never gave the speech, but at least part of it will see the light of day....



A lone female traveller always attracts attention, for better or worse. Some people look at me with pity. Sometimes I get curious glances as though people can’t quite figure out what a young woman is doing travelling by herself. Where’s the boyfriend or fiancé?

Eating alone in a restaurant is, without a doubt, one of the most disconcerting experiences for a woman travelling alone. But I’ve realized that it’s only uncomfortable if you let other people’s awkwardness bother you. I used to feel vaguely embarrassed about eating alone. With every bite, I’d feel self-conscious, as though everyone was staring at me. That all changed this past summer during a trip to Washington, DC. I decided to embrace the experience of eating alone. On several occasions, I actually made the decision to eat alone at nice restaurants. At first I engrossed myself in a book, but that was just validating those who think it’s unnatural for a woman to dine alone. So I ditched the book, and began to savour not only the food, but also the empowerment that flows from holding one’s own. I won’t turn this into a rant about not needing a man. The truth is that I didn’t need anyone in those moments – man, woman or child. I was free to be alone.

1 comment:

  1. Amy, this man traveling alone has this same problem too. People look with pity when a man eats alone in a fine restaurant...like he is flawed for not having company. Frankly, Im one of those who when traveling alone, enjoys a meal with a good book/mag. Actually, and unlike you, I cant enjoy the food unless I have a good read to go with it and will leave the hotel to go look for reading matter and go hungry till I get it !! Its a sickness..


    Now in some parts of the world, a man traveling alone is prey to hookers, in hotel lobby, hotel bars etc. Sometimes these ladys are very sophisticated looking , dress well, look like erstwhile business travelers. The flip side to this is, a lady traveling alone, like you, especially in many parts of Asia, is at risk of being viewed as a hooker too especially if you are drinking or eating alone in fine settings.As I understand it this is the doing of Russian mobs who traffic Eastern European girls..

    So, its a problem...but nothing that should get in the way of wanderlust :-).

    January 17, 2009 10:44 AM

    ReplyDelete