Saturday, January 17, 2009

Leaving the corporate cocoon - Part 2

Wow. It's over. Yesterday was my last day at work. I think I'm just starting to process the last 36 hours. I was up almost 24 hours straight. Work was a blur and I felt like a zombie after being up late working on my application for Georgetown. After work, I stayed at the office to finish my Georgetown app. Finally at about 11 I finished and headed to a friend's to help her celebrate her own MBA. It was after 4 am by the time I got home... but well worth the late night! It'll be sad to say good-bye to my friends. More on that later.

I just listened to "Beauty"- a song from a great NL group called Shaye....

Stay true to your nomad skies
Keep your eyes out for coyote
A thousand secrets are lost
In the archival dust
So lay your ears upon the tracks

One day you will come back
With wrinkled hands and grey hair
And there you will stand on the spot
And you'll marvel how the place is still the same
Though you are somebody else now
Fly on butterfly

And the day that you spin
From your little cocoon
Well, you can't be prepared
For the beauty you'll find there
And you will find beauty
In the toughest of places
And I will be thinking of you out there


The song is resonating with me tonight and making me emotional as I realize I'm into my last few weeks of residency in Newfoundland.... potentially Canada too. With the exception of a few weeks back here in the summer.... that is it. I'll be moving on again in the fall to some as yet unknown destination for my MBA (maybe DC - the interview this week went incredibly well.... 4 blocks from the White House! And what a time in history to be living in DC). I have a love-hate relationship with this "Rock" in the North Atlantic. It will always be home - but it is time to move on. I'm a big city girl and St. John's just doesn't do much for my love of big, culturally diverse cities that have a lot going on. The notorious George Street just doesn't cut it. The Scope just named it the best place in STJ to meet "your next lover". Um, ok. Anyone who's spent 10 minutes on George Street knows that if you're there looking for your next lover, it's generally of the "drag off" variety... but I digress!

It occured to me that I'm in an interesting situation in that I didn't leave right after high school or even University. Almost 5 years after MUN, I have deep personal and professional networks here and I'm sad to leave those behind. The happy hours at The Keg.... Terra Nova Toastmasters.... the business networking events.... I'm happy I stayed long enough to have those experiences. And there are many things I'll miss about Newfoundland, like the friendliness of the people and the ability to leave your pursue on a ledge on George Street (speaking of!) to go dance without fearing that someone will steal it!

Enough "waxing philosophical" for now :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment