Sunday, May 3, 2009

May Day Fireworks

At home, we sometimes joke about fireworks on New Year's Eve barely lasting until 12:05 am. No such worries in China. I'm now used to fireworks going off at the oddest times - like 10 am on a Sunday or 5 am on a Thursday. I don't see the point of setting off fireworks in the daytime, but apparently some people do.

Sometimes people set off "homemade" fireworks outside the hotel where I live. This makes me a little nervous; the CCTV fire in Beijing during Spring Festival is never far from my mind at these times. Yes, people at home may set off fireworks in their backyard for NYE or Canada Day, but I think they generally avoid setting them off in busy areas where there are cars and pedestrians. Again, not so here. Check out this video which I shot from my apartment on Friday, the big May 1st holiday. (I didn't think I had much of a Newfoundland accent - especially over here - but apparently I developed one for this video).


1 comment:

  1. We are one of the largest fireworks export company from Liuyang China(Liuyang is capital of fireworks ,and 75% of fireworks are exported from here in the world),We have been manufacture professional fireworks and consumer fireworks for over years.
    www.myspace.com/liwenquan66
    www.youtube.com/michaelli66
    MSN:michaelli66@hotmail.com
    Yahoo:liwenquan66@yahoo.com.cn

    ReplyDelete