Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Moonlighting in the Middle Kingdom

For the first time, I'll admit on my blog that I have a second job in Changzhou. I was reluctant to write about this, given that I'm technically not supposed to have another job according to my contract with the University. But the longer I'm here, the more I'm realizing it's not a big deal. For one thing, Teddy now knows about it and is cool with it. For another, most of the foreign English teachers have second jobs. The University only gave us 12 teaching hours a week. Even with lesson planning that barely adds up to one part-time job.

Since early March I've been teaching at Web International English, an English-language training centre. From what I gather, Web is a franchise operation. They are independently-run businesses throughout China - or at least throughout Jiangsu Province. There are two Webs in Changzhou. I teach at the one in Nan Da Jie in the city centre. There's another in the northern part of the city.


Reception Desk at Web International English


I found out about Web from another foreign teacher who had worked there. He introduced me to the manager and I had an interview on the spot (when does that ever happen at home for a professional position??). I told them at the outset that I wasn't in China only to work - I'm here to see the country and experience the culture too. I told them I could work weekends and Monday nights when I wasn't travelling.

So that's been my routine. When I'm in Changzhou, I typically work at Web on Sunday afternoons from 1 to 5 pm and Monday nights from 6 to 9 pm. That might not sound like a lot, but it's intensive, especially the four back-to-back Sunday classes. Teaching English here, in general, is exhausting work. You always have to be "on". You can't get lazy with your language and start resorting to idiomatic expressions. The longer I'm here, the easier it gets, but it can still be draining.

Teaching at Web is different from teaching at the University, though I enjoy both. Web has exposed me to a wider range of English learners. At the University about 95% of my students are female, while at Web the numbers are much more balanced. Also, most Web students are working professionals, though there are some school-age students. With an average tuition of 10,000 RMB per year, you have to be making a good salary to study at Web.... or have well-to-do parents and/or parents who are very committed to their kids learning English. In general, I find Web's students to be much more motivated. If I was paying that much for Chinese lessons, I'd be motivated too! Class sizes are kept small: Private classes will have 1 to 4 students, while salon classes have no more than 10. Compared to my culture classes of 40 at the University, this obviously helps with learning. Incidentally, the pay is better at Web too - though I'm hardly in China for the money! I would have stayed home if I was just interested in saving as much as possible before my MBA.

On Monday nights, I usually do English Corner at Web. Web's English Corner is quite different from the one at the University. The University's is very informal - we show up and talk to the students in English. For my first English Corner at Web, I did what you should never do in China and that's make an assumption. I assumed it would work like the University's English Corner. I showed up just expecting to have an informal chat with a few students.

Not so! There was certainly a "deer caught in headlights" moment when I walked in the room and saw about 50 people sitting there, all looking at me expectantly. I say "expectantly" because it turns out that the English teacher is expected to deliver a presentation at English Corner! If it's a PowerPoint presentation, then all the better. Well - thank God for Facebook (and thank God for Toastmasters, which has improved my ability to think quickly on my feet in a public speaking situation). I'd prepared nothing, but managed to navigate my way around Facebook in Chinese to find my photos. It was my first English Corner with them, so it was the ideal time to introduce myself, talk about my background and show them photos of family and friends. They loved it.

Since that first English Corner, Monday nights have truly become a highlight in my week. I love the crowd at Web English Corner. Some of them crack me up, they're such characters. They ask great questions. They are infinitely curious. A few speak fantastic English and continually amaze me with their knowledge of western cultures. I've talked to them about Newfoundland and Labrador, Canadian food, networking strategies and left-handedness (since they're always commenting on the fact I use my left hand). At the next English Corner I'll show them some photo highlights from my time in China. They love to see foreigners in the context of their own country.

My last English Corner is on June 15. I'll be sad to leave Web and based on what I hear, I think the feeling will be mutual. But my "Web memories" will last a lifetime.

The English Corner crowd at Web English

No comments:

Post a Comment