Sunday, February 1, 2009

Oh Golden Arches, How I Love You!

Ok, my first post from China! Things are going well - it's all a little overwhelming, but I guess that's to be expected. I didn't venture too far from the hotel yesterday. I was a bit culture shocked and had visions of getting knocked over by a taxi after witnessing how they drive on my way from the airport. I'd read about the chaos of Chinese driving, but nothing could have prepared me for this. Pedestrians have no right of way - cars will actually honk at you to get out of their way, even on crosswalks. Lanes are apparently more like "guidelines". Drivers appear to be able to turn on any light, regardless of colour. I thought the cab driver was going to mow some people down on the way from the airport. Anyway.... other teachers are gradually showing up, so I ventured out with three others today. I'm the only Canadian; the rest are all American. As expected, I'm the senior citizen in the group. They're all fresh-faced and about 22!


Ok, to the subject line of my posting.... despite my best intentions, it took me less than 48 hours to fall back on that beloved North American staple - McDonald's. I say with tongue only partly in cheek that I've been to more foreign McD's than Canadian ones. It's not a place I'd generally choose at home, but there's something about seeing those Golden Arches when you're abroad.... when you don't speak the language.... when you don't know what food to order.... all of sudden the picture of the Chicken McNuggets is rather alluring. With the exception of a few local additions to the menu, McD's is the same wherever you go. I suppose I have some excuse.... It was 10 am, I was starving and I couldn't find anything else in the area that was open. Just sitting there I felt like the stereotypical "American" (because you know they're all making that assumption) who can't leave the Mickey D's at home. Oh well. I'm gradually introducing myself to local cuisine, to avoid getting sick, as discussed in an earlier post. Fingers crossed - so far, so good.

So - I haven't said much complimentary here yet about China, though I don't think I'm exactly griping either. I recognize that I'm the one who has to adapt. Today is better than yesterday and hopefully tomorrow will be better than today. Like Bob in "What About Bob", I'm trying to remember "baby steps, baby steps"!

1 comment:

  1. Hi: You've started to learn and explore. Hopefully, you are moving in on the enjoy part. Don't fret about the "grandmother" thing - not that you fret about anything. Since image is reality, you easily pass for 20.

    Have fun, learn and "keep in".

    Hugs,
    M

    ReplyDelete