Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Left-Handed, Chinese Businesswoman

Today we met with the School of Foreign Languages and received our teaching schedules. I was warmly welcomed as the new teacher this term. I'm teaching 3 classes each of "Introduction to the Cultures of the English-Speaking Countries" and "Oral English". For the culture course, I actually have a textbook, which I hear is rare for foreign teachers. My teaching time amounts to just 12 hours per week, Tuesday to Thursday. That seems incredibly slight, even when you include prep time. Well, it certainly leaves me time to travel, reflect and work on my Chinese! I think it will be a welcome change from the rigors of a business career, when even when you're not technically working.... you're working or thinking about work.

"Connie" is responsible for the foreigners' teaching, much as Teddy looks after our living situation. (The first time I reference a Chinese person by their English name, I'll use quotation marks to indicate that it's an adopted name.) After our meeting, Connie introduced me to her assistant, a second-year student who's there to answer questions and act as a general resource for foreign teachers. As it turns out, the student's English name is also "Connie". I'm guessing that Connie 2 is probably one of the top - if not the top - student at Jiangsu Teachers University of Technology. The job of assisting foreign teachers is considered a great honour and privilege.

In the few minutes I spoke with her, Connie struck me as warm and intelligent. I asked her what she wanted to be when she graduated and she replied "a businesswoman." What a coincidence! I explained that my time teaching in China was a break in a business career. She was surprised (I got, "why are you teaching in China?") and impressed. In a country where traditional gender roles still dominate, it's very likely I'm one of the few businesswomen Connie has met. She noted that everyone in international business - regardless of where they're from - speaks English, and I said that her combination of Mandarin and English would be a huge advantage in the business world. Connie went on to say that her parents were discouraging her from a business career and wanted her to pursue teaching. At that point, I didn't feel it was my place to spout the western axiom, "Follow your dreams!" Family has a special place in Chinese society and parents' wishes often determine what a child does. In fact, I've been told not to be surprised if my students think I'm over here because my parents asked me to do it! (I'll be able to assure them that is definitely not the case - right Mom!?) I simply told Connie that it was good she was keeping her options open by studying both business and English, and that I'd gladly trade her Chinese lessons for lessons in business English.

Connie also commented on my left handedness. That's the second time in two days I've gotten a remark about being left handed. She said that she'd met 5 or 6 other foreign teachers who were left handed, which apparently never ceases to amaze Chinese students. Connie explained that in China, children who show left-handed tendencies are forced to use their right hands, so left handedness is extremely rare.

Yesterday I had lunch with "Steve", the resident Chinese English teacher. Steve loves hanging out with foreigners - I'm looking forward to the dinner parties he's known for having for the foreign teachers! In walking around campus with Steve, I got an interesting comment that was also the second of its kind in a short amount of time. In the library, one of the librarians asked where I was from. Acting as translator, Steve told her Canada. She continued talking and started motioning to her eyes and nose. Steve told me that she said I looked like I could be from a part of China where the people have wider eyes and different noses. Earlier that day, Teddy had taken me to the police station to convert my temporary visa into a residency permit. I had to get a picture taken, and he remarked that my photo looked "very Chinese".

Huh? I thought people were staring at me because I looked so foreign, but maybe they're just trying to figure out where I'm from! In the past, others (friends in Europe) had told me that my "look" is hard to place and that I could as easily be from Eastern Europe as Canada. But I can't say I ever expected to be told I have a Chinese look about me! I'm glad I darkened my hair last year. On sunny days, I wear my shades and the stares decrease significantly. It's not out of the question that a Chinese woman would have paler skin; interestingly (sadly?) they sell skin lightening products here.

And on that note, it's time for my next 10 characters :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment