Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bring Your Own Toilet Paper - and Other Observations on Life in China

I've been here now more than 3 weeks, which of course, is sufficient to make me an expert on all things Chinese (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Here are some random observations on life in China:

1. BYOP - Bring Your Own Paper

Chinese washrooms run the gamut. I think I've yet to experience the truly horrendous, though I did take one look at the women's washroom at the acrobat show we attended in Shanghai and decided I could wait. At the other end of the spectrum was the spotless bathroom in the Shanghai World Financial Center that not only had a western toilet, but what looked to be a very fancy bidet.

I should say here that it's not just the level of cleanliness that varies - the toilets themselves are different. "Squat" toilets are common in China. And that name says it all. While the hotel where I'm living has the kind of toilets we're used to at home, the University only has squat toilets. You can't throw paper in a squat toilet; you throw it in a bucket or basket next to the toilet, which can create a none-too-appealing smell unless it's changed regularly. And speaking of toilet paper, I don't go anywhere without a package of tissues. Toilet paper is not guaranteed in public washrooms!

The tissue paper also comes in handy at restaurants. I've eaten in a number of restaurants now in the University area, and napkins are neither provided nor available. Me using chopsticks plus no napkins is not a good idea.... another reason for my ever-present package of tissues. And on the issue of chopsticks....


2. Chopsticks Skills are a Must

Thankfully I had basic chopstick skills before arriving in China. If not, I may have starved. Unlike Canadian-Chinese restaurants, where forks and knives are at the ready, you're hard pressed to find them here unless it's a western-style restaurant. Which makes sense. Restaurants at home don't carry a supply of chopsticks.

My chopstick ability is not fantastic - I still drop food and have a hard time picking up very small things - but it's good enough for me to get by without making a complete fool of myself.

My advice: If you're planning a trip to China, learn to use chopsticks.


3. Get Ready to Raise Your Glass

Chinese people, particularly businessmen, seem to love to toast. I'd heard about this in some business classes. Several of us were graciously invited to dinner on Friday night and we must have toasted 15-20 times throughout the meal. Sometimes it's the whole table. Sometimes the person doing the toasting just clinks glasses with one other person. Men seem to initiate the toasts much more than women.

I like the frequent toasts. It creates a feeling of comraderie with your fellow diners. All the toasting, plus the many and varied dishes, leads to nice, leisurely meals. On this, the Chinese seem to have something in common with the Europeans. I remember dinners in Europe that lasted 3 hours.


4. China's Vices - A Trip Back to the 60s

Ironically, China does capitalism just as good, if not better than, most capitalist countries, but its vices are those that the west is on its way to eradicating - namely smoking and drinking and driving. I love the TV show "Mad Men", but I can't say I long for a time when smoking and heavy drinking were ok. Welcome to China. At the reception desk on my first full day at the hotel in Changzhou, I was standing behind a man puffing away. It seemed bizarre to see someone smoking in a hotel lobby. I understand that it was much worse just a few years ago, and that no-smoking regulations are gradually making their way into Chinese society. And much like toasting, smoking is something that few Chinese women do.

Worse than the smoking is the lax attitude toward drinking and driving. After same dinner as mentioned in #3, I was mortified to see our host - who hadn't skimped on the alcohol consumption at dinner - get behind the wheel of a car and actually offer to drive us downtown. I declined, as did another teacher. On this point, I am unyielding and don't care where I am in the world or who I offend. If there's one thing I don't do, it's get into a car with someone who has been drinking.

Taxi please.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, stick to your "Taxi" Principle. Hard to believe that there are cultures that find drinking and driving acceptable. PS: I'll send you some old Sears Catalogues for "paper".

    ReplyDelete