Saturday, April 25, 2009

Happy English

Back on campus, I'm reminded of why I made the right decision in coming over here. I love my classes, especially my smaller Oral English classes on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Here's a photo we took the other night (I just wish you could see the three girls behind me).




Also this week, my culture classes did their country presentations. Their group project for the term was to develop a tourism ad for a major English-speaking country (yes, you can see the influence of my business background in my teaching ;0). There were two components to the project: The ad itself (though most students did a PowerPoint) and an in-class presentation at a "Travel Expo", aimed at convincing their classmates to visit their assigned country. The presentations ran the gamut, and some were truly standouts. Some groups made a poster to complement their presentation; others adopted a TV show format where they interviewed people who'd already visited the country. Others had good taglines like "Canada - waiting for you" and "Take a journey, find your true self".


Selling America




Performing a skit about a Chinese student new to the UK


Coming from my Wednesday afternoon culture class, I came across a banner for the University's English Festival, which kicked off this week. When I saw it, I actually stopped, laughed out loud and took a photo.



Oh the irony: Celebrating English with some questionable English

"Happy English, I'm lovin' it!" Poor English plus a direct rip-off of McDonald's tagline, right down to the dropped "g" in "lovin'". I guess this is the slogan for this year's English Festival. Wow. Amusing, yet sad at the same time. They've gone to great effort and expense to bring five so-called "foreign experts" here to teach English, and it never occurred to anyone to ask one of us whether their "slogan" made sense? Is this the English they're holding up for students to model? I see this and I'm reminded of why students persist in saying things like, "I wish you happy every day."

Another funny thing about the McDonald's rip-off is that many students are under the impression that all "Americans" (i.e., I'm included) live to eat hamburgers. Perhaps this is an unconscious - or conscious - equation of English with the land of hamburger eating? Though I'm not sure that anyone thought about it that deeply before having the banner made....

A few other things about English Festival have left me scratching my head. After seeing the banner, I noticed a large crowd gathered outside the library. As it turns out, it was the opening ceremony for English Festival. I managed to catch the end, but wondered why the native English speakers hadn't even been invited to the opening ceremony. If I hadn't stumbled across it, I wouldn't have known it was happening. There were a number of University dignitaries there, and apparently there had been a student talent portion. It would've been nice to have been invited to a celebration of English, given what we're here to do.

At least the school involved us in their English Festival lecture series - though not without a hitch. The five of us each delivered a lecture on a subject of our choice. Sticking to what I know, last night I presented "Success in the West: Tips for Doing Business with Western Business People". But if it hadn't been for students at English Corner on Thursday night, I might not have made it to my own lecture! Again, unbelievable.... the school told us weeks ago the location of the English Festival lectures. I mentioned to some students at English Corner that I'd be speaking in the library lecture hall on Friday at 6:30 pm (yes, I know, a crappy time for a lecture - many students are gone home for the weekend by then.... I'm amazed that 30 to 40 people attended. At home, I'd be speaking to an empty room). They quickly informed me that the location of the lectures had been changed. Apparently the students had been made aware of the change, but not the guest speakers! I heard Dan didn't find out until he showed up at the library and nobody was there. Another frustrating head-scratcher. I asked one of the University administrators why I hadn't been informed about the change - no answer on that one.

I should add that none of this lies in Teddy's domain. Those of you reading my blog know that Teddy has been nothing less than fantastic.

Anyway, the students brighten my day, even if other aspects of the school don't. Forget us - the University could have gotten a better slogan by talking to some of my culture students.

No comments:

Post a Comment