Thursday, March 26, 2009

You Know You're Adapting to China When...

To mark my two-month anniversary in this country, I present my top 5 signs you know you're adapting to life in China:

1. You can push and shove with the best of 'em

When I first got here, I was a little overwhelmed at the huge numbers of people that are often jam-packed onto city buses. It's still not my favourite thing in the world to try to make my way onto a crowded bus - but I do it. Before I'd hang back and wait for the next bus, in the vain hope that somehow it would be less crowded. Wrong! Prepare to sharpen your elbows if you come to China. (Lest my mother - who is soon to visit me in Beijing - worry about this, I should add that apparently people are more polite in Beijing, having been trained in advance of the Olympics.)

It helps that my small size doesn't put me at a disadvantage. I'm closer to the average here than I am at home. I can't imagine what would happen in New York City if 6-foot, 250-pound men decided to push and shove their way onto the bus or subway. Chaos all around!


2. You can cross the street without looking completely petrified

For the benefit of readers back home, one day I have to stand by the road, take a video of the absolutely insane driving and then upload it to my blog. I've been in multiple cabs that get impatient with the driver in front of them and decide to drive on the other side of the road. Traffic lights are more of a suggestion. If you're going to live here, you have to quickly get used to the fact that pedestrians have no right of way - you have to make your way as best you can amongst the cars, bikes and motorcycles. I'm really not sure why they even bother to paint crosswalks on the roads. I've had close calls with two motorcycles, though neither driver looked remotely phased that they almost ran into me. My worst scare came when a car stopped only about 1/2 a foot away from me. I had the walk sign, but like I said... lights are more of a suggestion. Again, I've adapted to this, but that's not to say I love crossing streets here, especially busy intersections. Not only will drivers not stop for you - they will honk at you for being in the way!


3. You're guilty of TWW (texting while walking)

Guilty ;-) Students appear to be surgically attached to their mobile phones. While not as bad as them, I certainly use mine much more than I did at home. My fingers are slowly getting out of BlackBerry mode and re-adapting to the usual mobile phone keypad.

However, I still won't attempt TWW while crossing the street. (See #2.)


4. You're don't run screaming from a restaurant when you hear the cook coughing over your food in the kitchen

Gross, I know, but hygiene standards are not what they are at home. At home, I could be a bit of a germaphobe. Forget not eating food that touched the floor. I wouldn’t eat it if it fell on the table. I knew before coming here that the standards are different. I’ve learned to accept that if I’m going to eat here, I will probably end up eating something made by someone who hasn’t washed their hands in a very long time. I carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere – at least my own hands can be clean – but I accept that the conditions around me aren’t going to be what you’d find in Canada.

I know one thing: Taking Dukoral before coming here was a smart move. Will I make it to June without a case of food poisoning? Knock on wood...


5. Lunch time = Nap time

Many students eat their lunch in a hurry at noon so that they can get back to their dorms in time for a nap before classes resume at 2 pm. I was never one for napping - plus a 9 to 5 work schedule does tend to get in the way - but I'm finding myself adopting the lunch time nap routine, at least on days when I'm teaching. I teach 7 to 9 pm both Tuesday and Wednesday nights and have English Corner on Thursday nights, so a midday nap is a good way to stay energized into the evening.

But something tells me not to get too used to daytime naps.... I doubt they'll figure much in my soon-to-be life as an MBA student!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I hadn't thought much about the texting while walking (TWW) before. Now that you mention it, I would almost say that many of our students are at a TWL (texting while living)level.

    ReplyDelete