Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Little Ironic

In an effort to help my culture students better understand Canadian culture, I was trying to download something last night from YouTube. I've accessed YouTube many times here, but apparently the Chinese government has just decided to block it. So, sorry students - although I'm here to help you better understand English-speaking cultures and am here at the invitation of the Chinese government, I've just lost what can be a valuable teaching tool (if used appropriately and in moderation). Kind of ironic....

Also ironic: I'm finally allowed to access the CNN Wire and what's the first story I'm able to read? "YouTube Blocked in China"! Here's the link: http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/03/25/youtube-blocked-in-china/

Oh, you need some irony to spice things up....

2 comments:

  1. The article I read supposed that it may be in relation to a new video released by the Tibetan Government-in-exile showing violence by police to already detained protesters. Of course the Chinese government says it is fake. Or maybe they finally caught wind of the video which calls out censorship. The link's below. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/world/asia/12beast.html?_r=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. A buddy sent me a FB link to the BBC article about that, which I was sure wouldn't load...until it actually did.

    ReplyDelete